Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Psalmer från köket (Kitchen Stories)

Did you know that you can hire DVD's from Stadsbibliotek for free? Yip! For free....they have a range of Swedish movies, international films, and documentaries.  If I am not mistaken you can take up to 5 DVDs a week which is a pretty sweet deal. So in my pursuit to learn more Swedish I have started watching more Swedish movies and it just so turns out I had to watch one for a course I am doing on ethnothgraphy. I think I am going to start doing some short Swedish movie reviews for this blog! Enjoy!

The film is primarily set in the kitchen of Isak, a cantankerous old man who lives alone and unwittingly agreed to take part in an ethnographic study on single men’s habits in the kitchen. Folke Nillson, the researcher assigned to observe Isak, encounters numerous problems in his endeavours to understand the habits of single men in the kitchen. The absurdity and simultaneous reality of the film makes it humorous and moving.

However, as the research continues the observer becomes the observed and soon enough the two men find themselves becoming friends, despite being warned not to do so. Sheding light on issues related to ethnography the film has some alarmingly funny and bizarre scenes!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Claudia,
    I am a half Swedish, half Kenyan girl living in Lund who'll probably be spending the coming summer in South Korea. I was looking for blogs and information and happened to stumble across your blog! Do you happen to have an e-mail which I could contact you? Or feel free to write me on lak11eca1@student.lu.se
    Thanks! /Emilia

    ReplyDelete