Sunday, February 19, 2012

Soothing cemeteries

I don't know if it makes me weird but there is definitely something soothing about cemeteries, especially these old cemeteries in Sweden. I find myself drawn to them. They are quite and the trees  sway with a wisdom that only they know and which seems just out of reach of those that wander the paths beneath them.


I have been to two impressive cemeteries since August. One is in Malmo and the other right here in Lund. They are made even more enigmatic by the dates on the gravestones. Many of them are in the 18th or 19th century and my skin seems to stand on end as my imagination wanders to what things must have been like long ago.

I don't know if I am some macabre person but there is something so beautiful about cemeteries.

I went to the cemetary in Malmo in October when everything was still green. Right in the middle of town it's the type of place that makes you want to stop and read a book!






I went to the cemetery in Lund today. The snow started melting away on Friday but the cemetery still had this wonderfully enigmatic atmosphere as a result of the overcast weather. 






I am no photographer so these photographs no where near do these cemetaries justice. They are quite large and really beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment