Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Language cafe

The language globe taken off of olemiss.edu
Yesterday, quite by accident I stumbled upon a language cafe right here in Lund. I had heard murmurings about it but had never really ever had any idea where it was and what it entailed.


I left some friends in the SOL building to go to gym for an hour and when I came back unbeknown to my friends who were caught up in their own worlds they were sitting amongst a language cafe. hahaha....it was quite funny. They were sitting studying happily in between all these people speaking different languages and had no idea!

Oh right, I should probably back up a little and tell you what a language cafe is. Well, a flag is placed on a table and then at that table only that language is spoken. It is a fantastic idea to help people learn and speak different languages that they might be learning or just for fun. There was a German table, a Spanish table, an English table, a Swedish table (of course), and even a Hebrew table. It was great! And a bonus was that there were free treats and coffee up for grabs.

Maybe I shouldn't be so excited about the free treats but in all honesty back home as soon as there is something free, especially in such an open setting it disappears in minutes with people piling cakes and cookies into their bags and eating things they don't even like simple because it's available and there. I guess n South Africa the statement "Free shit tastes better" seems to be the rule to live by and people are quick to get as much of that free shit as humanly possible, even if it means others are left empty handed.

Anyway, back to Sweden and the language cafe. The Swedish table was quite full but luckily for me both the friends (Rebecka and Elin) with me were Swedish and volunteered to pack away their books and chat Swedish with me for roughly 40 minutes. Another guy from Portugal even joined us and it was a lot of fun! Now Elin and Rebecka have said that they will only speak Swedish to me :/ I guess that's the only way to learn!

So if you're in Lund and feel like practicing a language or are missing speaking your home language head to the SOL building next to the main library on a Wednesday at 5pm. I really think this a great idea and wonder why more universities don't do it (or do they?)

5 comments:

  1. Tirns out this is actually all the rage is Europe: http://www.languagecafe.eu/en/intro.html

    I think this should be exported to SA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shot the same day we were there (You can see Elin in the backgrounat 02:50...by the cookie table...hahaa). Oddly enough he doesn't visit the Swedish table even though it's the biggest one.

    http://www.youtube.com/​watch?v=2px3xuHempY&feature=you​tu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny!!! I want to go today (if it doesn't rain...!) :D

      Delete
  3. The Swedish language depends a lot on gender of a word. It controls what form an adjective should be in and what plural/article ending to use.you can easily learn swedish.there are many oppourtunities to learn swedish.
    swedishpod101.com

    ReplyDelete