Sunday, July 29, 2012

Three incredible stops in Austria!

I have been to both Graz and Salzburg before but it was in the winter time. It is incredible just how different a place can be in the summer. We don't have such contrasts in South Africa. The winter is cold and a bit drier but things, for the most part, look the same. Europe goes through these big seasonal changes and consequently visiting the same place in a different season gives you a whole new experience.


One: Graz
In Graz I stayed with a friend I met here in Lund, Michael. He was a fantastic host and took me around the main parts of town as well as for a cool hike! One day I even hopped over to the armoury museum and stumbled on a random parade. Graz was really something special.

The place we went hiking



The view at the end of the hike was amazing!

We finished the day with this view and a beer in hand! Amazing!

Michael grew up on a farm and took me to meet some of his cows

These roofs are a UNESCO world heritage site and pretty to look at!

One of the main walking streets in the city

An amazing shop with various oils and shnaps

The armoury is one of the biggest in Europe

Random carnival




It was as good as it looks :)


Two: Villach
Later, I stayed with some friends in Villach. Well, actually we were on the outskirts which was lovely and close to nature with incredible mountain views. We went on a scenic drive and saw some impressive views. We also got to walk around a summer market and eat meat and drink beer, the Austrian way :)


A pretty building in the center

My awesome hosts who treated me like absolute royalty! You rock!

Another beautiful view!

Meat and beer at a summer market. So so delicious!

Three: Salzburg

My last stop in Austria was Salzburg and I must say it blew my mind. I was last in Austria seven odd years ago in the winter and I just have one or two vague memories from Salzburg (we were only there for a day) but spending three nights in this gorgeous city was a real treat! One of the best parts of the city was the Salzburg Card. I decided to treat myself to a 72 hour card for 34 Euros and it was worth every penny and more. Being a really penny pusher and wanting to get more than my money's worth I visited a plethora of museums, went up a cable car for a jaw-dropping view, and took a boat trip (all courtesy of my Salzburg Card). had I not had that little card I would have run up a bill well in excess of a 100 euros (which I would never have done in reality doe to my shrinking pockets). The city was just fantastic!


They had cool artistic benches all over the city

At the trick fountains and palace

The view from Untersberg (The cable car was included in the Salzburg Card)


Enjoying the view

Sunset in the city

I just like the irony of this photo

I had a lot of fun at the museum of natural history

The main attraction

Included in my salzburg Card was a trip to teh Stiegl Brewery which included entrance into the museum, a gift, some beer crackers and three (0.3) beers for tasting. How totally sweet is that!


1 comment:

  1. and it all looks so clean. Lovely photos. Mom

    ReplyDelete