Monday, September 10, 2012

Österlen

During our two week road trip Oliver and I spent two days along the little coast which stretches from Ales Stenar to Kivik in the Eastern part of Skåne which is beautiful with a lot to see and do.....


Simrishamn is a tiny little place but a wonderful stop on a road trip. The pier offers some quite space where you can sit licking your ice-cream while the birds dart overhead




Stenshuvud National Park is a real gem...not as pretty as Söderåsen National Park but a fantastic stop for a few hours. 

Oliver and I got there bright and early, guzzled down our lunch on a wooden table using plastic cutlery while listening to birds wake up and an odd- really loud animal noise. I still have no idea what that noise was - Oliver and I have decided to agree that it was a moose. 

With tummies full we tied our shoelaces and headed into the park. It still amazes me that parks are not only free but left open for people to use at will. Amazing! 




The park was cool and damp with pretty grass sporadic grass patches. Most of it was densely vegetated and as we climbed to the top we were able to sneak a pretty great view of the ocean and jagged coastline. 

After a wonderful walk our stomachs began to grumble yet again and it was time to get a move on. We needed to find somewhere to set up our tent for the night. 



Driving through the little town of Kivik I just knew we would be back again the next day! It is dotted with lovely looking coffee shops, a sweet little beach and apples. Lots of apples!

First up, was finding somewhere to put our tent which adhered to allemansrätten rules. It was an odd night! I don't think I have ever camped in such isolation and my South African panic got the better of me once or twice. But as unnerving as it was it was also fantastic to have a beer next to a tent in the middle of seemingly nowhere just being with nature. 

The next day it was back to Kivik where we headed straight to Kiviks Musteri and Äpplets Hus. The museum was fantastic and has a make-shift factory where we are able to walk through process of how cider and apple juice is made and packaged. You then get to walk through an orchard filled with various apple trees. Some were red and inviting while others were a light yellow and looked refreshing. 

Of course I was an idiot and left my camera in the car but it is a place I would highly recommend to anyone. 

Be sure to go the coffee shop afterwards and indulge in some of their incredible apple pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment