Sunday, August 21, 2011

Arrival in Sweden

I remember the days when the thought of flying was exciting. Now, unfortunately, it has become somewhat of a painful process (a means to an end). At least I was flying with Emirates where the service is good and the entertainment is the best.

It was a long six hour flight to Dubai on which I managed to watch three movies, then a short three hour wait in Dubai before another six hour flight to Sweden (an older plan which didn't have their awesome movie selection and on which I coudln't  figure out how to use the control..so instead I played crosswords the whole way. I feel smarter for it :). Once I landed in Copenhagen I thought all would be smooth sailing.

Unfortunately the airport was quite busy, appeared to be a little understaffed making it not nearly as efficient as I had thought it would be. This might have something to with it being a Saturday...everything seems quite dead on this side of the world on weekends.

Eventually I managed to buy a train ticket and soon I was lugging myself and my 30kg bag across one of the world's largest bridges to Sweden. The train ride itself was beautiful as we glided over the dark blue ocean which was dotted with yachts and windmills.

Once in Lund I tried to find a taxi and make my way to my home for the next semester  (I have to get another apartment after this semester). My coordinator had told me to ask for the taxi price first and not to pay more than 60Krona for the ride. So I asked him but he insisted that the ride was 199Krona (which is a hell of a lot of money...over R200 for 4Km). I told him that I had been told otherwise but he was having none of it and left me with little choice. So I paid the fee and got a lift to my apartment. Exhausted after travelling for 24hours I had little fight in me and was surprised that this kind of behaviour happens here. The driver was "kind" enough to act surprised in the taxi when he found out I was a student and said that if I had reserved a taxi it would have only cost 65Krona....I don't know what to believe but I guess it doesn't really matter now.

So, I put the keys in the lock and walk into my new humble abode. It is one bedroom place with a kitchenette and bathroom which is a pretty sweet deal. I have a pleasant view and a nice working space...so I'm happy.....

Here are some pics:

My little kitchentte and dining room table


My kitchen leading into my bedroom

One half of the beroom


The other half of my bedroom


View from my kitchen

View from my bedroom

So...now I'm in my place, I've gotten settled but now I'm starving. So I head off to a small grocery store nearby.

Walking down the aisles I am lost once again. Although most Swedes can speak English it doesn't mean that their labelling will be in English. So I do my best to look like I know what I'm doing and I walk slowly trying to pick and choose what I need. I just needed something to help me for lunch and dinner. When I cash my cheques on Monday I will be able to do a more comprehensive shop. So with my basket of random things which includes bread rolls, milk (which turned out to be vegetable milk and was not tasty at all), cereal, salami, some weird spread I go to the cashier and in my most convincing voice I ask him for some airtime. He says "its there" and points up somewhere random. Feeling weird and with people waiting behind me I say its fine and expect him to keep ringing up my randoms. Instead he stares at me in wonder. Eventually I realise that the airtime hangs at the till and you need to pick it up and pay for it. Aaaaaah. I pay and leave in a hurry. Awkward!

 Now that I had food and my tummy was full and I was freshly showered it was time to scope out my apartment. It was plainly obvious when I walked in that I had no linen and no pillow. Sad face. I ended up making a jersey my pillow and used some of my scarves as a blanket. The place it kitted out with a great desk, some nice lamps and furnishings but seems to be missing some of the basics like a kettle or toaster. Another oddity is that it has cutlery, plates and even a full set of baking equipment but no bowls. Strange.

Other than that I have not much else to report. I went on a walk today...it takes about half an hour to walk to the centre of town which has a massive cathedral in the centre and is covered with cobblestones. There are more people on bicycles than there are in cars. Everything is face-brick with awnings and is very pretty with a cool character. Unfortunately everything was closed and quite. It appears Sunday is not a big day here but I am sure it will get busier once the semester actually begins.

I will need to buy a bicycle which will help take away from the burden of walking for half an hour as it is obviously much bigger. Also on the list of things to do is to open a bank account, sign up for student nations and union, get course information and hopefully meet some people.

Will keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Claudia!
    I love reading this. I am starting my adventure in Lund this August and couldn't be more excited!
    I was wondering how you got your apartment. Do you have any tips on finding anything?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwenny,

    Thanks so much for getting in touch!

    It is so exciting that you are moving to Lund! I love it very much! What will you be doing?

    Have a look at this linkhttp://claudiasswedishadventure.blogspot.kr/p/helpful-if-you-are-living-in-lund.html

    It has two links to websites that will help you find accommodation.

    Give a shout if something is not clear,
    Clauds

    ReplyDelete